When you are a misfit, like me, working in social media and the marketing industry is perfect. I’ve wrote a novel on this exact subject, so I feel that I can write a blog post about it now too. As I prepare myself for an amazing opportunity this week, I just thought I’d share my very own prep talk as it could apply to you, your team, or your business. You never know…
Thought(s) to self;
- My role is in essence to be the ears and the eyes of the company
- To carry the voice and heart of the company through-out social media platforms
- To create, express and increase interest through the written word
- To monitor, adapt and change according to the needs of the community within company policy.
- To touch the heart, and engage the minds of the community that already exists, whilst inspiring others to join.
That’s what a good community manager does; It just came to me like a bolt out of the sky. We are called to be use our very own personalities, which usually have some social capacity, drive, and an understanding of how business and communication work together. I love how one creative agency described the use of their business as a new way to tell a story and make your brand known. They highlighted the very real prospect that brands are no longer seen as icons, but as the corporation behind them. They also illustrated why it’s better to have a fan than a consumer, “because a fan will click like.” I couldn’t agree more if I tried! Well, I did try… It inspired me to write this post.
At the end of the day, when it all boils down to it why wouldn’t you want to get creative, and make your business/brand social?
Oh and FYI, when I say business I’m not just talking about the big giant superstore down at the bottom of your street. I’m talking about you. Whether you work for yourself, or someone else, you are in business!
I have the coolest job in the world!